Prep : 15 mins /Cook: 20 mins/ Total : 35 mins
Servings : 4-6
If you are looking for a quick and delicious meal, you are at the right place. This carbonara dish takes no more than 35 mins and you will have a steaming bowl of creamy pasta ready!
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 Small onion, chopped finely
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2-4 tbsp flour
1.5 cups milk
1-2 cup freshly grated cheese, plus more for serving
1/2 fresh lemon juice
1/2 pack of bacon (thicker the better), cubed or sliced into small strips
1 cup mushrooms, diced
1/2 large red onion, diced
125g of Penne pasta
2 spring onions, chopped
chili flakes to taste
2 tbsp Lemon Pepper
salt to taste
- Prepare the sauce while the pasta is cooking to ensure that the pennes will be hot and ready when the sauce is finished.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, add the pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until tender yet firm (as they say in Italian “al dente.”)
- Drain the pasta well.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat, add the garlic, yellow onions and fry them until golden brown.
- Add the butter and flour and stir until it forms a paste.
- Gradually add the milk while constantly stirring to create a nice creamy sauce, then add the grated cheese, stir until well combined.
- Add the seasoning to taste, the lemon juice.
- In a separate frying pan , cook the bacon until crispy, remove and set aside.
- Add the mushrooms to the bacon grease cook for 2-3 minutes, then add the red onions and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the hot, drained pennes and bacon to the pan and toss for 2 minutes to coat the strands in the bacon fat.
- Combien add the ingredients to the cheese sauce and stir until well combined.
- Serve with extra cheese and spring onions on top.