Poutine is a cultural thing here in Quebec, Canada.
But a smashed taco poutine!!! Yes, you read this right. In my house we celebrate tacos Tuesday #tacotuesday 99.9% of Tuesdays (It’s our thing). You know, sometimes we need to change it up a bit! We used mini red potatoes that we then mashed up then fried up! We also fried some corn
tortillas and seasoned some ground beef with spicy tacos seasoning. You can read below for the remaining of this adventure.
1/2 pack of bacon, chopped in small/medium pieces
1/2 pack of small grelot potatoes (340g)
2-3 tbsp garlic chopped to taste
2 tbsp red chili flakes
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp oregano
4 tbsp olive oil
1-2 tbsp fresh ginger, chopped finely
1/2 yellow onion
1/2 red onion
2 tbsp garlic, chopped very finely
1/2 jalapeno, chopped finely
1 pound lean ground beef
1/4 pack of spicy taco seasoning
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp smoked paprika
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp lemon pepper
1 tomato, chopped in small cubes
- The Potatoes: Preheat the oven to 350 F
- Bring a medium pot of water to a boil and add a chicken or veggie cube stock and the potatoes. Simmer the potatoes for about 10-12 minutes until they are fork tender.
- While the potatoes are cooking, add the bacon to a pan over medium-high heat. Cook until the bacon is crispy and the fat has rendered.
- Transfer the bacon with a slotted spoon to a plate.
- Add the olive oil to the rendered bacon fat and add the garlic, red pepper flakes and other seasoning to taste, and then the potatoes to the pan.
- When the potatoes are in the pan, smash them flat with a heavy spatula and let them cook about 2-3 minutes until they get a nice sear on them.
- Flip and repeat the golden sear on the other side. Season to taste with salt and squeeze the potatoes with the lemon juice. butter and add the bacon.
- Transfer to the oven to keep warm.
- The Meat: Heat a skillet/ pan over medium heat with the olive oil.
- Add the onions, garlic and jalapenos to the pan and cook until fragrant
- Add the ground beef and the seasonings, cook until the beef is just browned.
- Finely add the tomatoes and more seasoning to taste.
- To assemble: In a oven tray place the smashed potatoes at the bottom, then add the tacos meat on top, then add the grated cheese. Add to the oven until the cheese is melted. Add sour cream, guacamole, topped with the fried corn tortillas!!! ENJOYYY