I just love chicken General Tao, it has a sweet but tangy taste. Great With plain white rice or try it with a fried rice! (My Red cabbage Fried Rice)
If you are not a chicken lover, you can always change up the recipe and try it with beef or tofu or simply packed with veggies. It can basically be adjusted to what you love and crave.
Prep : 20 mins / Cook : 20 mins / Total : 40 mins
General Tao Sauce:
2 tbsp grated fresh ginger root or chopped
1 yellow onion, diced
1/2 red onion, diced
1 tbsp fresh grated garlic
1/2 red bell pepper, diced
1/2 bottle (355ml) VH General Tao Stir-fry sauce
1 cup fresh chopped pineapples with juice
2 tbsp cornstarch (depending on prefered thickness)
2 tbsp lemon pepper
The Fried Chicken:
2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast halves – cut into bite-size pieces
3-4 tbsp epis seasoning
3 tsp lemon pepper
1 tbsp chili flakes
1/4 cup breadcrumbs
1/4 cup milk
1-2 cups vegetable oil for frying
1-2 cups white balsamic rice, cooked
2 spring green onions, chopped
1 full pineapple cut in half with the fruit removed
- The Fried Chicken: Add the clean, cut chicken in to a small/medium bowl and season with the epis seasoning, ginger, chili flakes and lemon pepper.
- Let marinate in the fridge for a of minimum 1h
- In a bowl mix together eggs and milk, then in a separate bowl add the breadcrumbs ready.
- Remove the chicken bites from the fridge and add the milk/egg mix and let it sit for 5 mins, then coat the chicken pieces with the bread crumbs then set side.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a wok or large skillet over high heat until it reaches 350 F.
- Drop in the chicken pieces; cook until golden brown and no longer pink on the inside, about 12 minutes.
- Set the chicken aside or in low heated oven to keep warm.
The Sauce: Reduce the heat to medium-high and stir in the ginger, garlic, red bell peppers and onions until browned, about 1 minute. Pour in the VH sauce and pineapple; bring to a boil.
- Dissolve the cornstarch in 2 tbsp of water and add along with the sauce . Stir until the sauce has thickened and is no longer cloudy. Season more to taste then stir in the chicken and simmer until hot.
- Serving: To serve , take the half empty pineapple and place white rice inside then topped with the general tao chicken with the sauce. (see images below)