This is a dish that I grew up eating and to this day I still love. It takes under 45 mins to make and the best part is you can really use whatever you have in the fridge! As long as you have some meat and mashed potatoes on top, I think we are safe to say it will still be a shepards pie!!!
Did you know that it is British dish originating from the sheep country in Scotland and northern England.
Try my Aussie Meat pie (Spicy)
Prep : 10 mins /Cook: 30 mins/ Total : 40 mins
Servings : 4-6
3-4 large potatoes, peeled and quartered
2 chicken stock cubes
3-4 tbsp olive oil
1 yellow onion, chopped
1/2 red onion, chopped
2 celery branches, chopped
1/2 zucchini, chopped
1 can of corn (Creamy or regular works )
1 pound ground round beef
1/2 cup beef broth
2-3 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2-3 tbsp lemon pepper
2 tbsp caribbean spices
1/2 cup harissa sauce
Salt, pepper, other seasonings of choice
cheese optional in mashed potatoes
- Start with Boiling the Potatoes in water with 2 chicken stock cubes to make the mashed potatoes that will be the topping.
- While the potatoes are cooking, add oil to a large pot over medium/high heat and add the chopped vegetables, cook until tender, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the Ground beef with the spices to the pot and cook until the meat is no longer pink.
- Add the Harissa sauce to the simmering pot and mix until well combined.
- Once the potatoes are tender, remove the water and add the milk and garlic butter (Cheese is optional here)
- Assembly: In a 9 inch pie tray, start by adding the meat and veggies on the bottom layer.
- The next layer is the corn , then topped with the garlic mashed potatoes.
- With a fork even out the mashed potatoes.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until the mashed potatoes have become crispy and golden brown.
One Comment Add yours