What is this dish??? Salisbury steak is a dish, originating in the United States, made from a blend of ground beef and other ingredients and usually served with gravy or brown sauce.
This dish will fill you up and keep you warm during those cold nights. I serve this dish with some creamy mashed potatoes and some fresh greens
Prep : 20 mins / Cook : 20 mins / Total : 40 mins
1/2 large yellow onion
1/3 cup breadcrumbs
500g ground beef
Epis seasoning or 3 garlic clove , chopped
2 tbsp ketchup
1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
3 tsp dijon mustard OR 2 tsp dry mustard powder
1 tbsp olive oil
2 garlic cloves , chopped
1/2 onion , finely chopped
2 cups mushrooms , sliced
4 tbsp butter
1.5 cups beef broth / stock
0.5 cup water
2 tsp dijon mustard
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
Salt and lemon pepper, chili flakes
1 cup of cheese, sliced
Spring onion, chopped
- Salisbury Steak: Add all of the Salisbury Steak ingredients into the large bowl. Use your hands to mix until just combined.
- Divide into 4-5 and pat into oval patties. Set aside until ready to cook.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan or grill pan over high heat.
- Add the steaks and cook the first side for 1 minute or until browned, then flip and brown the other side (they will still be raw inside).
- Remove onto oven safe dish and cook at 425 F while making the gravy.
- The Gravy: In a large pot add 2 tbsp of butter, the chopped onion and garlic and cook for 2 minute until onions are a bit translucent.
- Add the mushrooms into the skillet and cook for 2 – 3 minutes until golden.
- Turn heat down to medium. Add the remaining butter. Once melted, add flour and cook for 30 seconds, stirring constantly.
- Gradually add in beef broth, stirring as you go. Once mostly lump free, whisk in remaining Gravy ingredients.
Assembly & Serving: Add layers of cheese on top of steaks then pour the gravy on top.
- Add the oven dish back in to the oven to grill for 3-5 mins or until cheese is nicely melted.
- Serve salisbury steaks topped with the mushroom gravy – over mashed potato is ideal!